Head of Regional Development Ministry of Russia Igor Slyunyaev participates in the XI Krasnoyarsk Economic Forum
Regional Development Minister Igor Slyunyaev participates in the XI Krasnoyarsk Economic Forum (KEF) “Russia: new sources of growth”, which runs from February 27 to March 1 in Krasnoyarsk . More than 5000 people, representatives of 33 countries and 71 regions of the country participate in KEF-2014. Forum is dedicated to finding new sources of growth of the Russian economy. Talk runs on four main areas-panels: activity and new industries, social direction, governance, Eastern vector of development, which suggest a priority for the development of Siberia and the Far East.
Among the Forum participants are the First Deputy Prime Minister Igor Shuvalov, Deputy Prime Minister Arkady Dvorkovich, Presidential Envoy to the Siberian Federal District Viktor Tolokonskiy, Federal ministers and the heads of the largest companies of the country, Russian and international experts. Ministry of Regional Development of Russia in KEF-2014 in addition to Igor Slyunyayev is represented by Deputy Ministers Valery Gajewski and Michael Krouk, Deputy Director of Department for development and comprehensive evaluation of the subjects of the Russian Federation and local authorities Eugene Gatalov.
It is noteworthy that at the plenary session “Russia: new sources of growth” the idea was repeatedly sounded that the sources of economic growth in modern conditions should be found in the regions. Thus, ex-Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin recalled the conclusions that experts made in a special report to the World Forum in Davos, “The role of the regions in economic growth.”
– New source of growth will come from the regions, so they should be given more power and more resources for developing infrastructure and not be forced to overstate the social obligations “, – he said.
The topics on the development of regional economies, its orientation and sources of growth were discussed at the meetings and roundtables, which were attended by the Minister of Regional Development Igor Slyunyaev.
– 83 regions of the Russian Federation have completely different starting points, economic base, different investment climate, and only 9 of them are donors, and the rest – recipients. There is no region, which do not need investments, even donors need to attract investment, private and foreign, and each region should actively attract investment funds on its territory, and that is what our ministry will promote in every way – the Head of the Regional Development Ministry said at the site of the KEF-2014.
Since 2014 the National Investment Agency “Invest in Russia” has started its work under the auspices of the Ministry of Regional Development. The Executive Director of the Agency Yury Voicehovsky, who also participates in KEF, said that since the beginning of the year the Agency has already held talks with investment agencies of Singapore, Switzerland, Germany, France about possible strategic partnerships in the implementation of the investment projects in the portfolio of the Ministry of Regional Development of Russia. At the site of KEF there planned series of negotiations with development institutions of the Russian Federation, who will interact with the National Investment Agency “Invest in Russia” within the framework of Association of investment agencies.
Position of the Ministry of Regional Development on the development of Eastern part of the country was expressed by the Minister in his speech at the plenary discussion “Territory of advanced development – Orient Express.”
Igor Slyunyaev stressed the “catching character” of development of Siberia and the Far East in relation to the economies of Asia-Pacific countries.
– China’s economy won the competition and became one of the world’s leading economies due to several factors: the first – cheap labor, the second – American investments, and third – mainly American sales markets. We can win the competition by using raw materials. And we have our own positive experience, for example, projects “Sakhalin- 1” and “Sakhalin-2”. Through concession agreements it is necessary to attract foreign investment and this is the key task for the Far East and Siberia – said the Minister at the second plenary session.
At the same time , having said that mineral resources is an undeniable competitive advantage, he recalled that the base was formed mainly in the Soviet years, and had not been replenished ever since. “We need comprehensive program in order to explore and to put on the balance new sources of raw materials, and this is a growth factor”. And, of course, it also relates to investment in raw materials processing industry. If the share of exports in the project is less than 20 percent, the development of social infrastructure in such “points of gravity” can move into second place, that is why the priority should be to develop export-oriented production, creating the infrastructure around them , “said Igor Slyunyaev .
He suggested the idea of creating a major commodity exchange in the Eastern part of the country.
– The region has almost no major commodity exchanges, the only exception is the London Metal Exchange, which moved to Hong Kong. But Russia is a major supplier of grain, oil, coal, wood, fertilizers and metals. And thus there are all preconditions that Russia plays the major role in commodity trading and our Far East has become the largest commodity exchange in the region, – said Igor Slyunyaev.
At plenary sessions the participants discussed the effectiveness of state mechanisms and development tools used in the past 20 years and those more recently proposed, in particular – the idea of creating of “territories of advanced development “.
– Federal target programs, regional programs, projects, development institutions, and other instruments and mechanisms should be brought to a common denominator, they should not be “all at once and about everything.” Their main task – is to solve our own problems and create our own competitive advantage, – suggested Igor Slyunyaev proposing to look at the eastern part of the country as one Mega Region – Siberia and the Far East – and to develop this area as a whole.
He also highlighted the importance of the knowledge economy for success in the modern world”. Knowledge Economy and powerful scientific potential can also become a trend of development of this Mega Region. The first place in the number of patents per 1,000 residents is not occupied by America now, but by South Koreans . And we have such a unique phenomenon as the Siberian Division of the Academy of Sciences with a historically strong scientific potential. We need new ideas, and powerful scientific potential, knowledge economy should be the main resources for the development of the Region “- said the Minister of Regional Development Igor Slyunyaev during the plenary session of the Krasnoyarsk Economic Forum.